Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Be Healthier and Happier: My Favorite Breakfast Lately

I'm linking up again this week with my friend Casey over at Hey, Momma! Go check out her blog! It rocks!


Hey, Momma!


Breakfast is probably one of my strangest meals of the day. I either grab something to take in the car on the way to school, or I grab something and don't eat it until I get to school. So breakfast, in a few words, needs to be fast, easy, healthy, and filling. Sometimes I just grab a Luna bar and a banana, but 1) that gets old quickly and 2) it doesn't usually tide me over until lunch. I recently started realizing that I'm going to need to do something different this year once school starts. And, happily, I found the perfect go-to breakfast! Refrigerator oats!

Honestly, my first thought about refrigerator oats was, "Blech! That can't taste good!" I thought about oats sitting overnight in Greek yogurt. Honestly, I didn't think this sounded like a winner. I couldn't imagine thick, Greek yogurt mixed with oats sitting in the fridge overnight. I'm not one for thick textures in my breakfast food, especially oatmeal. But for some reason, I decided to give the recipe a chance. 

I had recently purchased The FitGirl Guide which lays out meal plans and exercise routines to help you eat healthier and loose weight in a safe and thought-out way. One of the breakfast recipes was refrigerator oats. So I decided to give in to the hype and try them out. Let me just tell you, they are delicious, they are filling, and they are super easy! The texture is nice too; it's not too thick. It's just the right consistency. The oats soak up the milk and yogurt and really turns the oats into a satisfying meal. You can eat the oats cold or heated up. I prefer them cold right now; it's been so hot lately this summer. 


The base recipe is as follows:

1/3 cup oats (not quick cooking)
1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1 tsp honey
1 Tbsp peanut butter or nut butter of your choice
1/2 cup chopped frozen fruit (your choice)







I put my overnight oats in 16 oz. Mason jars that I purchased from Target. Keep an eye out on these jars! Target has been putting them on sale on and off this summer. I got my 6 pack for $7.99.



Ball 6ct Heritage Collection 16oz Jars - Purple




You mix all the ingredients together in the Mason jars. The most important thing is to mix all the ingredients together really well. The honey and the nut butter add nice flavor to the oats, but they can't if they're not mixed! I use a knife to mix the oats because it fits nicely in the jar and seems to help everything combine nicely. 











I switch up the fruit that I put with the oats. Sometimes I do dark, sweet cherries, blueberries, peaches, or mixed berries. All of them have been tasty!  I even added a little bit of cinnamon and ginger to the peach oats to make it taste like peach pie! Yum!

If you'd like some more ideas for refrigerator oats, I pinned some on my Pinterest Board "FitGirl Recipes." You can follow it here

Pumpkin Pie Refrigerator Oatmeal. No cook. Great grab-and-go breakfast!  #refrigeratoroatmeal


Banana Bread Overnight Oats | The Wheatless Kitchen





These are healthy recipes that I've found based on the premise of FitGirl. They are not necessarily FitGirl recipes. To find out more about the FitGirl Guide, click here





Have you tried refrigerator oats? What do you think? What is your favorite go-to breakfast?



Love and happiness <3 Holly



2 comments:

  1. Breakfast is awesome. It's so full of possibilities. Usually, I do so much better at breakfast than the rest of the meals that follow. Sad face. I told Oliver that I'm eating clean starting...NOW. Great recipes, Holly! I want to do the banana bread oats! Thanks for linking up with #heymomma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love breakfast too! Thanks, Casey! I'm going to try the banana bread oats next!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)