Sunday, October 25, 2015

I Can't Believe I'm Doing This...

Those of you who know me know that I suffer from chronic migraines. Even though I continue to take handfuls of supplements every day, watch out for triggers, and get Botox treatments, I still have 8-10 migraines per month. Now this is a serious improvement from where I was one and a half years ago. I was getting 17-20 migraines per month. I am in no way complaining about the success of the treatments I am receiving, but I always wonder if I can limit my migraines even more. 

I have decided to change my life. I work out regularly, I stretch, I take time to relax, but I eat animal products. I have decided to jump cold turkey into a whole foods, plant-based diet. I have been reading, researching, and searching for delicious recipes to use in my diet. I will be eating no meat, no fish,no oil, and no dairy. Thinking about not eating cheese or seafood is seriously killing me. I love cheese, and that's an understatement. I also love seafood: mussels, shrimp, scallops. Some of my absolute favorite foods. 


Creamy Curried Kale and Chickpeas:

At the moment, I'm not nervous or scared about starting this new way of eating and living. I'm really excited. When I asked my husband to jump on board my crazy train, he agreed. But then he looked at me and asked, "Wait, we're still eating cheese, right?" I froze and looked at him with a little bit of trepidation. I answered, "No. It's not plant based." His eyes opened wide, and I think he wanted to say a few choice words about eating no dairy. But he didn't. My husband is an amazing man, who supports me in any way he can. When I have a crazy idea, he jumps on board no questions asked. So we're going on this ride together.

Here are the goals I have for eating a whole-food, plant-based diet:

  • Reduce my migraines even more
  • Reduce animal sufering
  • Lose weight!
  • Have more energy
  • Feel lighter
  • Recover more quickly from my workouts
  • Be healthier
  • Reverse my acid reflux
  • Have a smaller global footprint

I know I have lofty goals for this change, but I am excited because I feel that all of these goals are possible with this new eating adventure. From everything that I've read so far, I do not believe that any of these goals are unattainable. The only question I have is about my migraines: can this really help me to reduce them even more? I can't wait to find out!

Here are a few links to some interesting information to check out if you're interested in living a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle:

Must watch: Forks Over Knives Documentary






Here's a link to my Whole Food, Plant-Based Pinterest Board


I know that I may struggle with this change at first. I know that I may just want to eat a piece of cheese. I know my husband may seriously want to eat some cheese or some eggs. Hubby and I also have a giftcard to one of our favorite restaurants. I am planning on eating a meal of my choice when we go out. Lifestyle changes are personal. You decide how they fit into your life and how you want to adapt that lifestyle to fit into your own. At home, I am going to completely do my best to eat a whole-food, plant-based diet. I feel so good about it, and I am ready to rock and roll!


Here's my first whole-food, plant-based grocery list for this week. All of this is for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners:






Anyone else eat a whole-food, plant-based diet?


Love and happiness <3 Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)