Saturday, December 13, 2014

Why I Heart Mary Lambert




I have to say that I love Mary Lambert. I have loved her voice since I heard her sing with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis on their hit "Same Love." Her voice is beautiful. And even more so, I find her candor and her realness inspiring. She is a girl after my own heart and exactly after the same thing that I hope to accomplish with this blog: to be real. 

On Twitter, Mary recently participated in a Billboard question and answer session where her fans could tweet her questions with the hashtag #AskMaryLambert. Her answers were witty and funny. When I need to smile, I read her tweets. Here's a recent one that I love:








I love that she's not afraid to be who she is and no one can stifle her personality. This interview on Vevo totally proves this point:






She isn't ashamed of her emotions; it's who she is. As an adult, I completely feel the same way. When I was a young adult and a teenager, I had a family member tell me that I was too "sensitive" and "too emotional." It really hurt me. I always felt that I needed to be someone else. I thought that I had to hide who I really was and how I really felt about everything in my life because this person meant a lot to me. 

It made me different. I wasn't me. I was a bottled-up and shy girl, who was afraid of being judged by everyone. If I wasn't good enough for my family, then who would I be good enough for? Living with OCD didn't help either. I internalized everything, and the comment about being too emotional played over and over in my head daily, making me feel less-than.

The message Mary sends out to the world is the message I learned myself as I grew older and dealt with my OCD. Who cares if I'm emotional? That's who I am, and I think I'm a better person because of it! I love empathizing with others and feeling touched by kindness and love. Without that side of my personality, I don't know who I'd be. I feel ya, Mary! Keep on crying! I'll be right there with you!

Not only do I love her candidness in interviews, but her first single "Secrets" off her debut album Heart on My Sleeve makes me love her even more. If you haven't heard her single, is everywhere! And I think it has to do with her honest, straight-talking lyrics.






She sings loudly and proudly, "I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are. So what?" Her words really resonate with me. I don't care either! Once you spend so much time pretending you're someone you really aren't, it feels good to finally be yourself, open up, and talk about whatever you damn well feel like!

My all time favorite lyric, possibly ever:



"They tell us from the time we're young
to hide the things that we don't like about ourselves.
Inside ourselves.
I know I'm not the only one who spent so long attempting to be someone else.
Well, I'm over it."



Her sincere honesty about dealing with trauma in her past and who she really is makes me happy. Not because she has to deal with trauma, but because she talks about it openly. She isn't afraid to throw it out there. I think more people should feel okay sharing openly about what they have been through, what they really deal with on a daily basis, and who they are. It would make people happier. The invisible weights people carry around inside their chests would be lifted.

Maybe I love this because Mary's doing exactly what I strive to do on this blog: to be real and honest about my experiences in hopes of relating to someone else's life. 

Sometimes I imagine that Mary and I would be friends and send each other cute pictures to cry over. It is so nice to know that there is someone in the entertainment business who is not afraid to be who they are and make no excuses for it. Thanks for being you, Mary! Keep on rocking on!




Love and happiness <3 Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)