Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Word of the Year

This is kind of late, but Happy New Year to all of you! First off, here are a few new things that happened this year:




 I got a new tattoo on Dia de los Muertos. My best friend got the same one on her back. She drew it :)




We got Remy!! It's almost been one year since his "Found Day"!




My niecey-poo Olivia was born!




I have a new doggy-niece too! This is Scarlet :)


And on to the post:


I have been thinking about this post for awhile. At the beginning of the New Year, I decided not to give myself a New Year's Resolution to adhere to. I don't do well with resolutions from past experience. They make me anxious--I don't know why. If I want to do something, I am good at getting myself to just put my mind to it and get it done, especially if it's something that I deem important to my life and my happiness. Now some things are harder than others, especially those that I don't have a lot of control over, like the time from last March until November-Decemberish when I was depressed. That was not a "just pull yourself up by the bootstraps and move on" kind of thing.

Some goals just get set in your mind and you work towards them because you want to, not because you have some deadline looming over your head to get it done. I think goals that are ongoing, continuous, always-learning and growing kind of goals are the easiest for me to keep plugging away at. Maybe that's part of why I like being a teacher. Who knows. But I like knowing that I'm moving in a good direction and working towards something that I put thought into. 

This year I saw a lot of people posting about their "word of the year." A guiding word, a motto, something that would drive them throughout that year. I wasn't sure that I could pick one word to drive my whole 2015--sure happiness is the obvious choice, considering the nature of my blog and my goals with my health and my emotional well-being. However, I wanted a word that could last me for more than just 2015. I wanted a word that I could think about when the times get tough and I could use a little inspiration or motivation. But I was really having trouble coming up with something that didn't pigeon-hole me into focusing on one small aspect of my life.

After contemplating this whole "word of the year" idea, I finally was struck by a word that I felt could do the job, so to speak. One day I was sitting on the couch watching Scandal, of all things, when my word just kind of smacked me in the face. (Don't even ask me how Scandal brought this one to me. I think Scandal awakens the creativity in all of us--thanks Shonda!)

So here's what I've got:

My word to live, love, and learn by this year is



No, I'm not going to go procure a farm or anything like that. Can you see me working on a farm? I don't think that would go well. Anywho, I really love the following definition of the word:


to apply oneself to improving or developing (one's mind or actions)

synonyms: improve, better, refine, elevate



I believe that I have always been working towards cultivating a better emotional state in my life: to feel happy, to feel settled, to feel acceptance of things that I can't change. I have been working to cultivate better relationships in my life with family and friends. I have been trying to cultivate habits that will make me calmer, more peaceful, and more joyful. 

I love the idea of improving and elevating your life to another level of existence. After all, aren't we all always trying to live, love, and learn more and better than we ever have? 

I think I chose a word that can drive me throughout my life, not only this year, but for a long while. I am excited to continue on my journey of joyfulness, peacefulness, wellness, and strength. Last year was a hard battle fought, but won. I am excited to see what this year has in store for me.


Love and happiness <3 Holly

1 comment:

  1. Cultivate while moving forward with strength, love and support my dear friend. <3 {{{<*H*><*O*><*L*><*L*><*Y*>}}} <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)