Wednesday, June 11, 2014

It's Totally On. My Happy List Update: Progress!!

Closer to the beginning of the school year, I started a happy list--a list that would keep me honest about making sure I did things that I loved throughout the year. Instead of coming home and just crashing or feeling stressed or down (I still do that every once and awhile), I would complete something off of my happy list and add a little sparkle to my life.

This list keeps me accountable. It gives me tangible goals. Coming home feeling stressed and overwhelmed, I never felt like I had time, or the energy for that matter, to do anything I loved. With this list, I had items in waiting--no excuses. Since my goal was to slowly complete these over a certain amount of time, my hope would be that, over time, I would feel happier. I would feel happier because I was making myself do the things that I love. I was forcing myself to find time for them. I was not allowing myself to have excuses not to do them. It was commitment I made to myself. And, it worked. 

Since it worked so well, I decided to keep the list, cross off the finished items, and add a few new things to the list.

Below, I kept the top section of my list as the things still "to do;" I haven't gotten around to these yet. I also added a few summertime "to-do's." At the bottom of the list, I crossed off the things that I have completed since the beginning of the school year (or whenever the heck I wrote this list!). 

To see my previous update on My Happy List, you can click here.
To read my original post about My Happy List, click here


My Happy List (To Do)

1. Visit the Contemporary Art Center to actually see the museum!


2. Practice taking pictures with my new camera
(Washington Park, Eden Park, city views)


3. Go to Wine Tasting with Rachie and Bjorn

I'd love to try Oakley Wines. They have wine tasting every Friday at 5!




4. Finish decorating and organizing my upstairs loft

This may take awhile. I've been putting this one off until the summer. Eeehh!


5. Try a new restaurant in Over the Rhine

I'd love to try Kaze and The Anchor


Ummm...this Bloody Mary pic is on The Anchor's homepage. I mean, "Hello!?!" Am I right?


6. Do a craft

I have made fascinators before and would love to try my hand at it again. 





I also have some ideas for some brooches that I purchased antiquing and thrifting. Stay tuned to see how they turn out!


7. Hang up all the artwork I haven't "gotten around to yet"

This summer this is all getting done! We are redoing our hardwood floors ourselves. As we finish each room, I plan to get everything hung up in each room as well. 


8. Write my books (anything for them)

We'll see how this goes. I feel a little stuck in the young adult book I'm writing. I'm also writing a children's book. Maybe I'll pick up there? We'll see. 


9. Read, read, read!

I've already read two books! I can't wait to keep reading! So far I've read...





I absolutely loved both of these books! I highly recommend both. The Opposite of Loneliness is one of my favorites that I have read in awhile. Marina Keegan's writing is far beyond amazing. It's real. It's touching. It's honest. I truly believe after hearing her story that she is some sort of writing prodigy. I wish I wrote like this when I was her age. I wish I did now. I am so glad I got to know her through these pieces. I wish I could have read more from her. One amazing woman. I highly recommend this book.



My Happy List (Finished!)

Take Bjorn hat shopping at Batsakes downtown for a new hat!

Ta-Da!!


Bjorn is seriously loving his pork pie hat!


Take Rufus, my dog, on more walks-carry Thor (my chihuahua not a big walker).  And now Remy!!!

Do something fun for our 3rd wedding anniversary!

Take time to enjoy the little things

Read more

Keep writing (poems, my book, blogging)

Keep enjoying my students

Figure out a new plan for my migraines

Start my art journal

Try a new recipe every week + use my crockpot at least once!!

Bake more


Well, that's what I have so far and what I've completed over the last few months. I didn't want to make my list too overwhelming, so I think that's how it will stay for now!


Do you have anything on your summer happy list?


Love and happiness <3 Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)