Friday, July 25, 2014

My Life with Migraines Update

I know I promised an update on my migraine situation. I'm not going to drag this out. Those of you who know me, know I've had a long struggle with migraines. They've continued to worsen my whole life. I'm at the point where I get on average 17 migraine days per month. Sometimes my "rescue" medication takes away the migraines, and sometimes it does not. 



Bjorn snapped this of my one night.
This is what happens when I get a migraine.
Take some medicine, put a heating pad on my head, and try to sleep.



I know a lot of my food triggers, and I try to stay away from those. My everyday life triggers are a little trickier. I tend to get a migraine almost always after working out. The heat seems to be a trigger (even if I do drink more than my usual amount of water for the day). Really bright lights and seriously loud noises can get me when I'm already on my way to a migraine. 

This past year has been a year full of taking new medication that haven't helped. They've made me exhausted, overheated, not myself, and gain some weight, among other things. I have not felt myself this year. I am also taking a lot of supplements, which I'm okay with. I am now taking some medications that help me get through each day with little side effects. I also recently started giving myself injections when needed to help deliver my rescue medication more quickly at the onset of a migraine. This allows me to get back to everyday life more quickly because the medication takes effect on my migraines way more quickly than taking any pill could. I have also found a new medical masseuse, who is amazing! She really helps keep my back and neck loosened up!  

The biggest news, I guess, is that on Monday, I will be starting Botox injections for my migraines. As I write this, I get little anxious butterflies in my stomach about it. I debated for a long time about getting this treatment done. I wasn't sure if it was right for me, but I literally feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I have taken almost every migraine medication that can be prescribed to patients, to no avail. My current medications keep me going mostly, but don't diminish my migraines. I don't want to know how many migraines I'd have in a month without them! 

After serious consultation with my doctor and much research on my own, I have come to the conclusion that I need to try this. If Botox, in any way, can give me a better quality of life, than I need to try. So that is where I am. I am hopeful that this will give me some relief. If you're interested in hearing more about how it goes after my first treatment, let me know. I wanted to keep this update brief.

To read more about Botox Treatment with Migraines, Click the Links Below:

WebMD Botox for Migraines
Botox Treatment Website

I am extremely nervous about the whole treatment. Mostly, I think, because I know this is one of my last serious options in getting potential relief from my migraines. I feel somewhat emotional about the prospect, anxious, and nervous. Please send positive vibes my way on Monday, if you can. I would greatly appreciate it. The treatment consists of 31 injections in my forehead, head, and neck. (Orginally, I remembered 38! I'm glad that number is a little lower in reality!!) I would appreciate your positive thoughts! 



Love and happiness <3 Holly

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. It definitely sounds like you have a pretty extreme case but I am glad to see that you have found a new approach to try. Hopefully, this brings you the final resolution to your medical and anxiety issues once and for all. As a fellow anxiety fighter, I'm pulling for you!

    Jacqueline Hodges @ Dr Koziol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this helpful information shared in this post.i read this post and it is very useful article. To get more information cheap medicine shop in usa from Best online Drugstore.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)