Monday, April 13, 2015

Life Advice for My Teenage Self

Last year was full of a lot of ups and downs. I had some hard mountains to climb, namely depression, but I feel like I'm on my way back out of the water. Dealing with the emotions associated with depression was probably one of the biggest challenges I've faced, and I have been through a lot in my life. Whether it's because it's something that I've never experienced before and wasn't equipped to deal with or the plain fact that it hit me upside the head out of the blue, I'm not sure. I hope that I can continue to find the strength to keep forging ahead, although the going may get rough. This past year, for many reasons, has taken a lot out of me. 

I decided at the end of 2014, after learning so much more about myself, to combine everything I've learned in a letter to myself as a teenager, imparting wisdom on a girl who could have used it then--hindsight and age are valuable commodities in this life. 

As a teenager, I think, so many of us feel awkward in our own skin, unsure of who we really are, and afraid to stand up for who we are and what we believe in. At least I was. I believe that too many of our teenage girls today feel like this and need to know that they're not alone. 




To myself, as an awkward, shy, unsure, teenage girl:





Life is full of ups and downs. I know it seems like the end of the world when something doesn't turn out the way you plan, but don't worry! It's just life. Take a deep breath and keep going. That old adage "when life gives you lemons..." is true. It's not what happens to you in this life that defines you, it's what you do when adversity faces you. Don't worry; you'll survive. The good things in life seriously outweigh the bad. It doesn't always feel like it, but it's the truth.

You are amazing. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. It doesn't matter if someone doesn't like the clothes you wear, the way you cut your hair, how you take your time and think before you speak, but don't let it bother you! You do not have to change who you are to fit it. Other people will care about who you really are inside, and those are the people who matter. You will have plenty of true, fabulous friends in your life who love you for who you are. They are amazing people; don't worry if it takes awhile to find people who really understand you. It's worth the wait.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Asking for help doesn't show that you are weak, that you don't know what you're talking about. Getting advice from other people give you new knowledge and offers new perspectives. Just ask. I know it's scary, but you can't do everything on your own. 

Nothing is wrong with you. You think differently than other people. You don't enjoy being in front of other people; it is work for you. That's okay. You don't have to be like everyone else. Be okay with you--you're perfect just the way you are, no matter what anyone says about who you are.

I know it's hard to not become overwhelmed with life, but life can be overwhelming. Try to take things as they come. One thing at a time, and know that you will get through it. Trust me, you will. It may not be easy, you may not like the outcomes of some things, but you will survive.

Be happy. Do the things that you love and don't worry about what others think of you. If you need to say no to people to do something for you, it's okay! You are important, and your happiness is important. Life is too short not to be happy. 

You are enough. You always have been and you always will be. 








What would you tell your teenage self?


Love and happiness <3 Holly

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have told my teenage self all these things -- and that I would have listened! Most important, I think, would have been to realize that failure and negative feedback from the outside world are not important. What's important is to take advantage of all the opportunities in life. I wish I had done more of that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)