Sunday, February 9, 2014

My New Year's Resolution: Month One

It has been one month since I made my New Year's Resolution to do more art journaling. 

To read about my resolution, click here.

And here is my update: I met my goal for January! Yay! I started at the beginning of the month and slowly worked throughout the majority of it. I had all these grandiose ideas about how to make my first entry the "perfect one;" hello perfectionism creeping up to say hello! It took me most of the month staring at a white page to realize that my art journal doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be me, something from my creativity. It can be whatever I want it to be. I didn't feel like getting out any crazy supplies this month, so I just used some good, "old-fashioned" sharpies and my own free-hand writing to complete this month's journal. 

I think my perfectionism and OCD were holding me back from completing this project, which is what typically happens when I begin something. My OCD and perfectionism tell me I cannot do something because it will "never be perfect," "I'll be a failure," and "it's never good enough" (read: I'm not good enough). So, I usually don't get things accomplished. This is probably why I worked on this page right up until January 31st! Or in other words, stared at a blank page for twenty-something days until I just decided I needed to do something because I really wanted to meet my goal for the month!

So here it is! I still have a major learning curve when it comes to creativity and projects and my OCD. I still get overwhelmed sometimes. This is a prime example of a simple thing making me feel a little nuts just because I was afraid I wasn't going to do it right. Who cares, anyways! It is my journal! This is a good push for me: 1) following through with something creative that I want to do for myself and 2) trying not to bully or pressure myself in the process; wish me luck!

Ok, so here it is, seriously!




Here are some ideas that will hopefully inspire me for this month:



book page poetry


Top 3 Hands-On Poetry Activities



Art Journaling




Grid journaling, by jessica goodson




All of these images can be found on my Pinterest Board Art Journal Fun!

To follow my Art Journal Fun! Pinterest Board, click here



Do you journal or make art journals?




Love and happiness <3 Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)