Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tried It Tuesday!

Hallo! ¡Hola! Konichiwa! Aloha! Ni hao! Ciao! Hello!



It's Tuesday and time for another installment of "Tried it Tuesday"! Here are some things that I've been loving this week! And one thing I'm not really sure how much I love, but I'm going to give it another go 'round! We'll see how it goes :)


Book

I'm reading one of the book club books that my students' are reading in 5th grade for their civil rights unit. It's a little challenging for a few of them, so I'm trying to stay ahead. I'm actually almost finished, since I love the book! That way I will definitely not fall behind them! I think I'll finish tonight!

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine is a historical fiction novel set in 1958. It follows the life of Marlee, a shy twelve year old girl and her family during the time of segregation. It happens the year right after the Little Rock Nine had been integrated into a high school in Little Rock, Arkansas. At the close of that school year, in the summer of 1958, Orval Faubus, governor of Arkansas, petitioned the Supreme Court to push back integration in public schools. This books takes place during this time. 

In the book, Marlee meets a new girl, Liz, at her junior high who is caught "passing" for a white student. After Marlee is caught and leaves school, Marlee and Liz want to remain friends, but in order to do so, they have a dangerous road ahead of them. 

Fabulous writing and imagery. Great story!





Movie


I had never seen the movie One True Thing (1998). Renee Zellweger and Meryl Streep star in this movie. Meryl plays Renee's mother who ends up being diagnosed with cancer. Renee's character ends up moving home to take care of her ailing mother, while her father, a college professor, has trouble coping with her illness. I love this movie. It is a great story of family and their relationships and how they change during a trying time in their lives. It is just a heartwarming story. I got sucked into this movie on Saturday morning and couldn't stop watching!




Music


I heard this song while watching Grey's Anatomy last week, and I'm totally in love with it! You should check it out!! 


"All Through the Night," by Sleeping At Night






Make-up

I recently purchased a new Milani matte lipstick in Sangria from CVS with a $3.50 off coupon. It cost next to nothing! I love the deep red color of this one! It makes me think of a fruity glass of Sangria made with Pinot Noir. I also love the formula of Milani's lipsticks. There are smooth, rich, and creamy, not drying.





Tasha @ Shoes and Sunsets wearing Milani's Color Statement Lipstick in Sangria.
I recently found Tasha's blog and love it!




I also purchased Wet n Wild Color Icon Collection Shimmer in Golddigger color 303. They were on sale for 99 cents, so I thought it could be something fun to try out. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. They are glitter, cream shadows, so they don't have fallout. This is a good thing. However, I knew it wasn't going to stay put on my eyelids very well. I tend to have oily eyelids, so I always use primer before I put anything one. I also didn't love the look of this glitter without eye shadow underneath. 

I did put some brown-toned eye shadow on first. Then I patted this glitter cream shadow on top. The eye shadow I put on first was matte, so I assumed this would stick to it. The glitter stuck to one eye, but didn't stick to the other and creased horribly! I did love the look of it though! I am trying it again; I'm not giving up yet! I had a few people compliment me on it, even though it was a hot mess after about an hour. We'll see if it works out next time!







Nail Polish

Over the weekend I painted my nails with Revlon Nail Polish in Flirt. I don't know what happened! The day after I painted them, they started chipping! I've never had bad luck with Revlon nail polish before! I guess I'll just paint them again with a different color! But this purple/lavender color was so pretty!





Food

This has been a looong week! Bjorn and I have made some really easy recipes that we just know "off the top of our heads" without having to go out and search for recipes. Here are a few "oldies but goodies" that we haven't made in awhile, but we like.


Frisch's Big Boy Pizza (Amazing)




Click here for the recipe on my Pinterest board Great Food...Tried it...Loved it!!



Sweet Potato Quesadillas (So good and vegetarian!)



We don't use vegan cheese. We just use Quesadilla cheese or Monterey Jack.


App

One sweet reader left me a comment on my post about the #lovelifeproject that I found on Jenny's blog Wonderfully Complex. You can read that post here. It's basically a way to help you remember that it's the little things in life that can bring you happiness. A reader let me know about some Apps that allow you to take a picture and organize them by day to remind you of these happy moments in your life. That way you can look back at them and reminisce! So far I found two that I thought looked interesting:




Collect--Everyday Photo Diary &  Project 365 Journal with Polaroid Prints (free)






Have you tried anything new this week?


Love and happiness <3 Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Comments are one thing on my happy list! Hearing from you makes me smile :)